Four drinks you need to know can help you lose weight
If you are overweight, chances are you have a drinking problem—and we’re not talking specifically about alcoholic beverages. You might also want to check out how to lose weight naturally. Apart from water, there are many alternatives to try out to lose weight effectively.
- Green tea
Green tea is packed with beneficial antioxidants and other powerful nutrients, it’s also one of the most effective drinks for weight loss. Drinking green tea has been shown to decrease body weight and body fat in several studies. Green tea contains catechins and caffeine — two compounds that may boost metabolism.
- Green tea is rich in bioactive substances like caffeine and EGCG, which can have powerful effects on metabolism.
- Green tea helps break down fat as the compounds in it increase levels of hormones. This releases fat into the bloodstream and makes it available as energy.
- Several studies show that green tea extract can boost fat burning even stronger during exercise.
- Green tea has a compound called polyphenols that helps reduce weight and burn fat.
- Green tea helps in lowering blood pressure, decreasing inflammation, and improving epithelial function, which can help reduce heart disease risk.
Method of preparation
- Boil 1 cup of water properly.
- In it dip a sachet of green tea of your choice. Once it gives the flavor, take it out and drink it hot.
- Protein shakes
Protein powders such as whey protein, soy protein, egg white protein, casein protein, and pea protein have all been shown to help with weight loss. That’s because the protein in a protein shake keeps you feeling fuller for longer and also takes more energy for your body to digest, so you burn more calories. Protein is the building block of muscle and it promotes satiety, both of which can help with weight loss. When low in calories, high-protein drinks can be an effective tool for dropping pounds, especially when used as meal replacements and between-meal snacks.
- Weight management: A 2017 review reported that supplementing with whey protein might reduce body weight and total fat mass in people who are overweight or obese. It may also reduce blood pressure, total cholesterol, and other risk factors for cardiovascular diseases.
- Muscle growth: Protein is essential for muscle growth. Many athletes and gym enthusiasts consume protein shakes because they believe that these drinks will help them bulk up after strength training. Protein supplementation was equally effective in men and women. However, the effectiveness may decrease with age, as older adults have higher protein requirements than younger people.
- Recovery after exercise: As well as contributing to muscle growth, protein can help repair damaged muscles and tissues. As a result, athletes may use protein powder to speed up recovery from muscle soreness after exercise.
- Added nutrition: People who find it challenging to meet these amounts, possibly including some vegans and vegetarians, may find that protein powder offers an easy solution to the problem. Athletes, weight lifters, older adults, and people with a chronic illness may need to exceed the general protein intake recommendation.
How to make protein shakes
- Take your protein shaker and remove the lid.
- Add around 200ml of water or milk to your shaker first. (Milk is better for an evening shake thanks to its casein contents but it also contains extra calories so is not a good option for weight loss.)
- Add the recommended dose of protein powder. (This tends to be indicated on the packaging and most powders come with a measured scoop.)
- Depending on your shaker you’ll have either a metallic shaker ball or a plastic mesh insert. Add this to your shaker now, seal the lid – make sure the top is closed or you’ll spill.
- Give the whole thing a vigorous shake.
- Once shaken, consume immediately.
- Lemon water and ginger
Are you searching for a warm and relaxing drink with health benefits and a strong taste? Lemon ginger tea may be your perfect option. Ginger is a member of the same plant family as cardamom and turmeric. It originated in China and India, where it was used as a tonic that was believed to have healing abilities. Lemons are well known around the world for their sharp, sour flavor and for being an excellent source of vitamin C and antioxidants. Together, the sour flavor of lemon and bitter tartness of ginger combine into a tea with a crisp, sharp flavor and with many health benefits.
- People have used ginger to treat gastrointestinal (stomach-related) complaints since ancient times, and it has been used to give relief for nausea, vomiting, and indigestion.
- Lemon ginger tea can also help you lose weight. Lemon has been shown to reduce insulin resistance, helping to reduce the amount of fat stored in the body. Ginger has been shown to reduce hunger, which can help people lose weight.
- Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria.
- Ginger is known to reduce the risk of cancer, liver and cardiovascular disease.
- Lemon ginger tea can help reduce pain associated with inflammation, arthritis, and even headaches.
- Slice a 1-inch length of fresh ginger, as finely as you can. Alternatively, you can also grate the ginger.
- Add the ginger to boiling water. Allow it to boil for 20 minutes.
- Slice 1 lemon into fine slices. Reserve a few lemon slices to use as a garnish.
- Add the lemon slices, and allow the mix to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Strain and drink this tea throughout the day. Garnish each cup with one of the reserved lemon slices. It’s great hot or cold!
- Black coffee with Dark Chocolate
Drinking coffee has been shown to decrease appetite and calorie intake throughout the day but also increases how many calories you burn at rest. For example, a small 2020 study found that drinking four cups of coffee a day for 24 weeks was associated with a 4% body fat reduction in overweight adults.
Many companies make ready-to-drink vegan protein nutrition shakes from bean and pea proteins. These pack 15 to 20 grams of hunger-satisfying plant-based proteins, plus vitamins and minerals. You can check for the weight loss benefits of dark chocolate. Go for dark chocolate with less calories. Opt for organic coffee that is chemical, mold and pesticide free.
- Black coffee boosts energy levels: This is because caffeine blocks the receptors of a neurotransmitter called adenosine, and this increases levels of other neurotransmitters in your brain that regulate your energy levels, including dopamine.
- Black coffee decreases the risk of type 2 diabetes: This is thought to be due to coffee’s ability to preserve the function of the beta cells in your pancreas, which are responsible for producing insulin to regulate blood sugar levels. Plus, it’s rich in antioxidants and may affect insulin sensitivity, inflammation, and metabolism — all of which are involved in the development of type 2 diabetes
- Black coffee may promote brain health and liver conditions: Another review of 11 observational studies in more than 29,000 people also found that the more coffee people consumed, the lower their risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Other research shows that the more coffee people drank, the lower their risk of death from chronic liver disease. Drinking one cup of coffee per day was tied to a 15% lower risk, while drinking four cups per day was linked to a 71% lower risk
- Black coffee may promote weight management: According to some research, coffee could alter fat storage and support gut health, both of which may be beneficial for weight management
- Black coffee may enhance athletic performance : One review of nine studies reported that drinking coffee before exercise improved people’s endurance and decreased their perceived exertion, compared with a control group. Another study in 126 older adults found that drinking coffee was associated with improved physical performance and faster gait speed, even after the researchers adjusted for factors like age, belly fat, and physical activity levels.
- In a pan, add water and bring to a boil.
- In a cup, add instant coffee powder and sugar. You can skip the sugar if you want a sugar free drink.
- Add some warm water to the cup and mix well.
- Next add the boiling water to the cup.
- Stir well. Enjoy!
- Carb-cutting smoothie
Low-calorie smoothies made with satiating protein powders are a great way to fight hunger pangs that might lead you to a bag of chips or a slice of cake. And they’re easy to make. A scoop of protein powder, some frozen berries, and a blender are all you need to make a hunger-busting weight-loss smoothie.
- In a similar way as fat, protein offers many health benefits that are essential for everyone, but especially for people with diabetes. High-protein content can slow the absorption of food, and this reduces the speed at which sugar enters the bloodstream. Protein can be animal or vegetable-based. Adding high-protein ingredients to a smoothie can offer health benefits.
- A smoothie can seem like a drink, but it can contain as many carbs and calories as a full meal. Account for the carb and calorie content in the smoothie and use it to replace a meal, or just have a very light snack with it.
- In general, a smoothie that is suitable for a person with diabetes and high blood pressure will probably be suitable for a person who wants to manage their weight.
- Smoothies that contain fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds can be a good source of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that the body needs. All of these nutrients can benefit a person’s overall health.
- First, add your liquids. Start with water, milk, yogurt, or fruit juice.
- Second, add any frozen ingredients, whether ice, juice, or fruit.
- Third, add large ingredients, including chopped or sliced fruit or vegetables.
- Fourth, add smaller, optional extras such as spices, peanut butter, or protein or vitamin powder.
- Finally, start blending at low speed. Gradually increase speed and blend to your desired consistency. Blend until smooth and it is ready for consumption.
Eating as well as drinking healthy goes a long way in weight loss and management.